Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Stocking the Freezer

I've been really lazy lately. And I blame the cold. I've had the best intentions of starting the new year with a healthier eating plan. I want to stop grabbing take-out or a prepared salad on the way home, and get back into the habit of cooking healthy dinners. I head to work every morning with the best of intentions, and during the day I plan my evening meal. Over the past few weeks, I've cooked amazing dinners in my head! But I get out of work after 11 hours on my feet, and head outside to realize the temperature is still below freezing. Suddenly, I'm less inclined to stop at the grocery store on my way home, less interested in carrying grocery bags the 10 blocks from the store to our apartment. So I get take out. Or delivery.

This weekend I decided to stock the fridge and freezer so that I would not have any excuses not to cook. I bought veggies so I could make salads, and I prepped the veggies so they will be ready to use when I want them. I made a batch of our favorite turkey sausage pasta sauce, and froze it in ziplock bags so I could defrost just enough for 1 or both of us during the week. And I marinated chicken breasts in individual portions for the freezer.

The Ingredients: Zest and Juice of 2 lemons
2 pinches crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp ground fennel seeds (I prefer these to whole seeds for most of my cooking, but whole seeds would be fine, too)
1/4 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp celery salt
1/2 tsp granulated onion
1/2 tsp granulated garlic
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast portions (1/2 breast each)

The Directions:
-Whisk everything together (except chicken breasts). I do this in a measuring cup so I can portion it easily.
-Trim chicken breasts of any excess fat. Put each portion in a quart sized ziplock bag. Pour 1/4 of dressing into each bag. Close bag, removing as much air as possible, then smush chicken around in marinade. Freeze.

I do this in individual portions, so we can cook these up individually as needed. The chicken will keep for months in the freezer, and defrosts in 15-20 minutes in a bowl of cool water (or in the fridge if I remember to move it before I head to work. Or a microwave if you've got one). If you have a larger family, you can increase the amount of marinade, and use a gallon ziplock bag to freeze larger portions. And you can change up the marinade a million different ways. If you've got left over fresh herbs, chop them up or grind in food processor, and add to marinade so they don't go to waste!

These are great simply cooked, served with your favorite sides.
Boyfriend will cook some on the George Foreman grill when I'm not home, and make a sandwich out of the grilled chicken. I usually bake in the oven at 350° for 20-25 minutes, until I get an internal temp of 165°. I might serve as whole breasts, or chop up for salad or other recipes that call for pieces of chicken.

No comments: