Monday, February 9, 2009

What's in your pantry and fridge?

I'm fascinated by what people keep on hand so they can cook without having to run to the grocery store before making dinner. I live in a one bedroom apartment in New York City, so space is seriously limited. While our kitchen is pretty large by NYC standards, it's still tiny, so I try not to keep stuff on hand that I won't use.

Here's what I try to keep in my kitchen. I'm sure I've forgotten a few staples.

Spice Rack:
Kosher salt
coarse black peppercorns to grind
chili powder
ground cumin
grill seasoning
Hungarian sweet paprika
smoked sweet paprika
whole nutmeg
curry paste and/or powder
ground coriander
turmeric
garlic powder
dried minced onion
bay leaves
red pepper flakes
ground cinnamon
ground cloves
a couple of salt-free seasoning blends (I love a number of the Penzey’s blends)

Fridge/Freezer:
milk
unsalted butter
eggs
Parmigiano-Reggiano
Turkey bacon
Sharp cheddar cheese
Dijon mustard
flat-leaf parsley
fresh thyme
celery
carrots
frozen peas
frozen corn
frozen veggie medley
frozen artichoke hearts
turkey or chicken sausages (I try to buy organic, and I get a variety of flavors)
ginger, peeled, cut into 1-2” pieces, and frozen
plain bread crumbs (I buy a bag from my local bakery, but you could make your own from stale bread. Either way, I keep the bread crumbs in my freezer and they last for months.)
Spanish or yellow onions
shallots
garlic

Pantry:
Low sodium, organic vegetable stock (if I haven’t made veg. stock from scratch)
canned diced fire-roasted tomatoes
carton of crushed tomatoes
tomato paste (I prefer tomato paste in a tube, and keep it in the fridge once opened)
black beans
cannellini beans
variety of long- and short-cut pastas, plain, flavored, and whole wheat
whole wheat couscous
quick cooking brown rice
quinoa
all-purpose flour
whole wheat flour
granulated sugar
brown sugar
baking powder
baking soda
pure vanilla extract
neutral vegetable oil, such as canola oil
extra virgin olive oil
sesame oil
soy sauce
hoisin sauce
chili garlic sauce
balsamic vinegar
red wine vinegar
honey
Calvados
Marsala
A white wine that I would drink as well as cook with

Also, lots of pots and pans, a food processor, a stand mixer, and a few other kitchen gadgets and toys...

Is there anything you can't live without that I don't have on the list? I worry that there are things I am missing out on because I haven't tried or thought to keep around.

No comments: