Friday, November 14, 2008

Pumpkin Spice Cafe au Lait

For me, one of the signs that fall is here is when Starbucks brings out the Pumpkin Spice Lattes. I rarely get them, both because of price and because I think it's too rich. But I do love splurging and getting a pump or two of the pumpkin spice in my regular coffee.

Today is pretty gloomy, so as a treat at the end of a rough week, I decided to try making my own pumpkin spice coffee. I didn't take photos (sorry!), but imagine an oversized mug of warm, spicy, fall-flavored coffee!

The Ingredients:

I did this right after I woke up, cranky from a bad dream and achy from a rough week at work. So I just eyeballed everything. Taste as you go and adjust for your tastes. For me, a pinch is with thumb, index and middle fingers.

-1 tbsp pure pureed pumpkin
-1 small pinch ground nutmeg
-1 large pinch ground cinnamon
-1 small pinch ground clove
-1/8 tsp pure vanilla extract
-1 tsp sugar (I keep a jar of sugar with vanilla beans in it for my coffee, so I used that)
-1/2 cup milk (we use 2% in our house, but you could use whatever you drink in your coffee)
-2 cups coffee

Directions:

Combine everything but the coffee in a small saucepan and heat over low heat until it comes to a simmer. Divide between 2 mugs, and add 1 cup coffee to each mug. Taste and adjust seasonings. (I added a bit more vanilla sugar to mine.)


This was a perfect way to cheer me up. I think it's far more delicious than Starbucks' pumpkin spice! It is creamy (the pumpkin makes it thicker and richer feeling than milk alone), spicy, warm, but not too sweet. It tastes a bit like a pumpkin pie or a spice cookie. I recommend drinking it in your favorite pajamas while catching up on the tv you DVRed during the week. Because who can't be cheered with pumpkin, fuzzy pants, and Survivor?

No comments: